Current Custody Orders Not Working Out? 4 Reasons Why You May Want To Have Them Modified

Posted on: 13 May 2015

Your custody and visitation order might have been acceptable to both parties when you finalized your divorce. However, circumstances can change. If your custody arrangements are no longer working, you might need to have them modified. Before you can change your custody arrangements, you'll need to go to court and have a judge approve the changes.

You'll need to have a legitimate reason for requesting the changes. Here are a few reasons why a judge may approve changes to your custody orders:

One Parent Is Moving Far Away

If the custody and visitation arrangements were implemented when you and the other parent were living in the same area, they might not work out if one of you is moving farther away. If you're concerned about the present arrangements, you should discuss the situation with an attorney. Custody arrangements can be modified to accommodate the new living arrangements.

The Income Has Changed For One Parent

Child support is determined by the income of both parents and the financial needs of the child. If any of those circumstances have changed, you may request that the child support payments be modified. Some reasons you should consider asking for child support modification include:

  • Loss of job

  • Increase/decrease in current income

  • Illness of child requiring additional living or medical expenses

  • Increase/decrease in child's educational expenses

You Believe Your Child Is Being Abused By the Other Parent

It's your responsibility to ensure your child's well-being. If you believe that your child is being abused or neglected while they're with the other parent, you should discuss the matter with your attorney. Be sure you have sufficient evidence before you go to court. Failure to provide evidence of abuse or neglect may result in a change of custody orders that do not favor you.

The Other Parent Is Not Honoring the Arrangements

If the other parent is no longer honoring the custody orders that are already in place, it may be time to go back to court. For instance, if the other parent is missing visitation days or bringing your child back late after each visit, you should speak to your attorney.

Custody and visitation orders are a vital part of co-parenting. If the current orders are no longer in the best interest of your child, you may want to consider having those orders modified. A family law attorney will be able to help you obtain the orders that are best for your child. To learn more, contact a company like Borowiec & Borowiec PC Attorneys At Law.